Alec Baldwin “Rust” Shooting Ruled Accidental

Prosecutors could still elect to press charges, but so far, they have not indicated what their final decision will be, citing the need to review more reports and cellphone data.

Alec Baldwin speaks during the 2021 RFK Ripple Of Hope Gala on December 9, 2021, in New York City. Credit: Getty Images
Alec Baldwin speaks during the 2021 RFK Ripple Of Hope Gala on December 9, 2021, in New York City. Credit: Getty Images

The fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins by Alec Baldwin on the set of “Rust” was accidental, according to a report from New Mexico's Office of the Medical Investigator made public Monday.

Per CBS News, the office reached its conclusion after “the completion of an autopsy and a review of law enforcement reports.”

Meanwhile, a recent FBI analysis determined that the gun would not have gone off unless the trigger was pulled, contradicting Baldwin's claims that he didn't do so.

Prosecutors could still elect to press charges, but so far, they have not indicated what their final decision will be, citing the need to review more reports and cellphone data.
Baldwin’s legal team responded to the recent revelations by emphatically defending the 64-year-old actor and highlighting the medical examiner's findings.

“This is the third time the New Mexico authorities have found that Alec Baldwin had no authority or knowledge of the allegedly unsafe conditions on the set, that he was told by the person in charge of safety on the set that the gun was ‘cold’ and believed the gun was safe” Baldwin’s attorney said in a statement.