Cracker Barrel To Pay a Customer $9.4 Million for Serving Him Chemicals Instead of Water

In the 2014 incident, William Cronnon was served with Eco-San, a chemical cleaner used in the kitchen area, instead of water.

Credit: Getty Images
Credit: Getty Images

A jury in Tennessee has ordered Cracker Barrel to pay $9.4 million to a customer who was served a glass filled with kitchen chemicals instead of water at one of its TN locations.

The amount, however, may be capped due to the state’s law on civil damages, per CNN.

William Cronnon was having lunch at a Cracker Barrel in Marion County, TN, in April 2014, when he took a sip of what he believed to be water, “only to immediately realize that it was not iced water but was some chemical that caused a burning sensation in his mouth and esophagus.”

According to court documents, it was later discovered that the Cronnon had been served Eco-San, a chemical cleaner that was used in the kitchen area.

The chemical caused permanent and serious internal physical injury to Cronnon. He is reportedly still suffering from symptoms, including injuries to his mouth and esophagus