Iran Says Its Strikes on U.S. Forces Have "Concluded"
Iran says they "do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression." No casualties were reported.
Iran says it has "concluded" its strikes after launching missiles at an Iraqi base housing U.S. forces Tuesday night.
"Iran took and concluded proportionate measures in self-defense under Article 51 of UN Charter," Iran's Foreign Minister Javad Zarif tweeted.
He added that they "do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression."
On Wednesday morning, President Trump said during a televised statement that the strikes caused no U.S. or Iraqi casualties, later adding that he is planning "powerful" sanctions on Iran but did not provide specifics.
"As we continue to evaluate options and responses to Iranian aggression, the United States will immediately impose additional punishing economic sanctions on the Iranian regime," Trump said. "These powerful sanctions will remain until Iran changes its behavior."
Trump did not announce plans for a military response, saying, "The fact that we have this great military and equipment, however, does not mean we have to use it. We do not want to use it."
Tuesday night's strikes were Iran's first known retaliation since a U.S. strike ordered by Trump killed Qasem Soleimani, the top military and intelligence commander in Iran, on Jan 3, 2020.
The Pentagon confirmed in the hours following that Iran's missiles targeted two Iraqi military bases housing U.S. forces.
"At approximately 5:30 p.m. (EST) on January 7, Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against US military & coalition forces in Iraq," the Pentagon statement said.
Trump then tweeted about the attacks, saying "All is well!"
Earlier this week, Trump said in a tweet that "The United States just spent Two Trillion Dollars on Military Equipment... If Iran attacks an American Base, or any American, we will be sending some of that brand new beautiful equipment their way."
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said President Trump did not seek congressional authorization for the Jan. 3 drone strike, for which many members of Congress criticized him. Previous presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama did not target Soleimani due to concerns of Iranian retaliation against U.S. troops and diplomats in the region.
The killing of Soleimani, along with several leaders and officials in Iraqi militias who were in the car with him at the time of the strike, came one day after Iranian-supported protesters stormed the U.S. embassy in Baghdad and set parts of the building on fire.