Several Retailers Vow to Continue to Pay Employees While Closed
Sephora, Gap, and Urban Outfitters are among the retailers that plan to pay their hourly employees while they temporarily close due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Many retailers have been forced to shut down customer-facing stores as the coronavirus continues to infect thousands.
Since a large number of retail employees are hourly, many businesses have vowed to continue paying their employees, despite being closed. The decision to pay employees highlights the lack of paid sick time that is available for many of these workers.
Retailers that sell essentials like grocers, pharmacies, and food service have implemented new policies to protect their employees, including limited hours. Some of the companies have also made changes to their benefits packages for hourly employees including Trader Joe’s, Starbucks, Wal-Mart, and Whole Foods.
Some of the companies that have vowed to pay their workers while being closed include:
- Abercrombie & Fitch/ Hollister- Closed until March 28
- Allbirds- Closed until March 27
- American Eagle (Including Aerie)- Closed until March 28
- Apple- Closing all stores outside of China until March 27
- Benefit- Closing U.S. & Canada stores March 17- April 3
- Canada Goose- Closed in North America & Europe until March 31
- Columbia Sportswear- Closed in North America until March 27
- Foot Locker- Closed in North America, EMEA, Malaysia until March 31
- Gap, Banana Republic, Janie and Jack, Athleta cutting store hours and closing select stores in U.S. and Canada until further notice
- Glossier- Closing all stores for two weeks
- J.C. Penney- Limiting store hours
- Kohl’s- Limiting store hours
- L Brands (Bath & Body Works, Victoria’s Secret and PINK)- Closing U.S. and Canada stores until March 30
- Levi Strauss- Closing U.S. and Canada stores until March 27
- Lululemon- Closing stores in North America and Europe until March 27
- Lush Cosmetics- Closing U.S. and Canada stores until March 29
- Madewell- Closing all stores until March 28
- Nike- Closing U.S., Canada, Western Europe, Australia and New Zealand stores until March 27
- Nordstrom & Nordstrom Rack- Closing all U.S. and Canada stores until March 31
- Patagonia- Closing all stores until March 27
- Ralph Lauren- Closing all North America stores March 18- April 1
- REI- Closing all U.S. stores until March 27
- Sephora- Closing all U.S. and Canada stores until April 3
- Ulta Beauty- Closing all stores March 19- 31
- Under Armour- Closing all North America stores until March 28
- Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, Free People, Terrain and Nuuly- Closing all stores until March 28