Videos Showing UFOs Were Released by The Pentagon
One of the videos of “unidentified aerial phenomena” was recorded in 2004, while the other two were recorded in 2015.
Three videos of "unidentified aerial phenomena" recorded by the Navy have been given an authorized release by the Department of Defense after they were leaked years ago.
In the infrared videos recorded during training flights, there is a mysterious object moving quickly across the screen. In two of the videos, the Navy pilots are reacting in shock to what they’re seeing.
The DOD said in a statement on Monday that one of the three videos was recorded in 2004, while the other two were recorded in 2015. The videos had already been leaked to the public in 2007 and 2017, according to the release.
In 2017, The New York Times published two of the videos in a report on the Pentagon’s mysterious "Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program," which the Times said studied unidentified flying objects (UFOs). The program was reportedly shut down in 2012, though officials told the Times that it was still in existence. The third video was released by a private research company called To The Stars Academy of Arts & Sciences, which was co-founded by Blink 182 singer Tom Delonge.
The DOD said in the statement that it decided to officially release the videos "in order to clear up any misconceptions by the public on whether or not the footage that has been circulating was real, or whether or not there is more to the videos."
The Navy has previously acknowledged the videos were real in September 2019, according to CNN.
"After a thorough review, the department has determined that the authorized release of these unclassified videos does not reveal any sensitive capabilities or systems, and does not impinge on any subsequent investigations of military air space incursions by unidentified aerial phenomena," Pentagon spokesperson Susan Gough said in the new statement.
One of the pilots in the 2004 recording told CNN in a 2017 interview that the object “rapidly accelerated to the south, and disappeared in less than two seconds.”
"It was an actual object that we tracked ... for somewhere around five minutes, before it rapidly accelerated,” retired U.S. Navy pilot David Fravor told CNN. “This was extremely abrupt, like a ping pong ball, bouncing off a wall. It would hit and go the other way."
The DOD also said in the new release that the "aerial phenomena observed in the videos remain characterized as ‘unidentified.’"
The Pentagon’s secretive "Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program" was led by Luis Elizondo, who told the New York Times in 2017 that he resigned in October 2017 because of the secrecy of the program and “internal opposition.” Elizondo added that “there is very compelling evidence that we may not be alone.”
The U.S. government has been involved in studies surrounding UFOs since the 1940s, with the C.I.A. acknowledging its involvement in secret programs until the 1990s. One study called "Project Blue Book" investigated more than 12,000 UFO sightings up until 1969. Of those sightings, 701 were left unexplained.