This sperm whale had 64 pounds of plastic and trash in its stomach when it washed up on a beach in Spain. The trash included plastic bags, rope, and pieces of net.
Experts determined the whale died because it couldn’t expel the plastic it ate, which likely blocked its digestive system. The discovery inspired officials in Murcia, Spain to start a campaign to clean their beaches and educate the public on the dangers of single-use plastics.
Murcia’s General Director of Environment, Consuelo Rosauro, stated, “The presence of plastic in the ocean and oceans is one of the greatest threats to the conservation of wildlife throughout the world, as many animals are trapped in the trash. Or ingest large quantities of plastics that end up causing their death.”
More than 8 million tons of plastic enter the ocean every year and a report predicts that, by 2050, there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish.