Carol Martin died from a flesh-eating bacterium — and her family thinks she got it from a Florida Hotel’s hot tub.
Richard Martin says his wife Carol was the only family member to use the hot tub during a family trip to Clearwater two months ago. Back home in Indianapolis, she noticed a small, painful sore on her rear.
Doctors allegedly shrugged it off and sent her home with antibiotics and a heating pad. But Carol’s infection got worse and doctors finally diagnosed her with necrotizing fasciitis, a flesh-eating disease. The CDC says the bacterial infection spreads quickly and kills the body’s soft tissue. Carol underwent two major surgeries and spent 16 days in the ICU, but died later that week in her home.
Richard said his wife could have been saved if doctors diagnosed her correctly the first time.
“At least by the second time they should have decided this is growing and maybe we should take a culture of it,” he stated. “I feel like they did not want to do that because she did not have insurance. The way they handled all this is screwed up.”
The coroner’s office has collected tissue samples from Carol, but the test results could take up to 12 weeks. Richard suspects his wife got the infection from the hot tub, which can breed bacteria very quickly if not properly maintained.